Saturday, July 02, 2005

Booster, Frikyiwa, and Gerardo... Found a Fan in Me

Yesterday I had the opportunity to head over to my good ol' friend Coyote's music shop, Paradise Bound. It's located in the trendy Kensington Market. It has everything in there, all types of genres in cassette, vinyl and cds. Seeing that Coyote always knows what I like, I threw at him the opportunity to find me something interesting to listen to, and he threw back 3 wonderful selections. Booster - Loop In Release, Frikyiwa - Collection 2, and Gerardo Nunez - Calima. Booster is an eclectic mixture of acid jazz, r&b, funk, and electronica... all the stuff I love. It is off the Blue Note label so you know the production is "tight", love it. The cute thing about this album is that it was "recorded and mixed by booster at his home, bougival, france"... now that's what Imma talkin' about! So far from my first listen... Mutation.. part 1 and 2 really jump out at me. Starts off real cool and the tempo changes and takes you into a completely different vibe. Can't help to think of Infected Mushroom when I hear this.... Frikyiwa I automatically fell in love with. Coyote plugged it in... and I told him I didn't need to hear anymore. Africana, dub, electronica, killing bass lines... I was listening to it all the way home. I am going to have this in high rotation for awhile. Sadly... I haven't had a chance to listen to Gerardo... except for the snippets I heard while in the store. I will get around to it eventually. What I can remeber of it, was just wanted to dance... and that's a real good sign. Apparently (according to Coyote) there is a duo by the name of Strunz and Farah, who do a collaboration on this record, who I should look out for. Nothing like good music to put you in a good mood... I was considering doing an odd to Luther Vandross.... But I don't want to put it into overkill. Don't get me wrong.. I love Luther... and it's a damn shame he is no longer with us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lester T. said...

since my working days at the virgin megastore ended, i have not been able to keep up with the music that i like. i'm going to have to come here to get a little caught up. keep posting about music, please!

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home